Monday, January 7, 2013

Healthy Living--Choices

Hell everyone! Well I'm back from my little time away in Dallas. Which means back to healthy eating. I know a lot of people are trying to eat healthier after this holiday season and it being a new year and all. It has been a while since I have done a nutrition post. So I figured what better way to start off a week with a healthy living post? Over the years I have had several trainers/nutrition enthusiasts in which I have learned a lifetime of information. As I was doing burpees or running sprints, they would talk to me about nutrition and I would soak it up because nutrition has always fascinated me and I love eating healthy and feeling good. And I'll be the first to tell you, that it is not easy--I am the queen of yo-yo dieting. But I had this new sense come over me that dieting DOES NOT WORK. Healthy lifestyle change is the way to go--forget all of the fad diets and just eat healthy. Do not deprive yourself; this weekend I ate half of lox and bagel instead of a whole and was just as satisfied. Same with my beloved eggs benedict (hollandaise can be a killer), I ate only one half of the eggs bennie and was completely satisfied and totally got my fix. Depriving yourself of things you love can ultimately turn into a disastrous binge. So next time you're at a cocktail party and the hors d'oeurvres are just tugging on you, go for it. But go for small portions, just enough to satisfy your craving. I will share with you what I had for breakfast and some of my favorite healthy snacks:

This morning I had 1/3 avocado & a poached egg on 40 calorie whole wheat toast with cracked sea salt & pepper. With fresh pineapple & red grapes and farmstand juice. It was extra filling and delicious. And of course I had a cup of coffee with some Splenda. Although avocados are full of fats, IT'S THE GOOD FATS. They are heart healthy, full of protein, anti-inflamtory, carotenoids, and boost levels of the good cholesterol. So don't be afraid of this green goddess called an avocado!

Now on to some snack options:
Today I had 12 golden snacking tomatoes and a hard boiled egg with s & p. It was completely satisfying. And let me tell you, this golden snacking tomatoes are DELICIOUS! This is an easy way to get a veggie in and a quick protein!

Another snack option:
Okay now let me tell you, I am a peanut-butteraholic. Seriously though, I can eat a whole jar of creamy peanut butter in one sitting. But regular PB is full of fat and unwanted sugars. So I was searching for something that tastes just as great as peanut butter but is more reasonable for my waste line and let me tell you, I FOUND IT! It is called PB2--all you do is mix 2 tbsp. of PB2 with 1 tbsp. of water and stir it until smooth. It is fantastic. I spread it on a Quaker Unsalted Rice Cake and it tastes delicious. I also stack on a 60 Calorie Pack Dried Prunes which makes it sweet, salty and all around delicious!

One more snack option:

Last, but certainly not least is another healthy snack option. 10 small boiled shrimp and 2 pieces of Dried Mango. This was you can get your sweet & salty fix with protein and a fruit. Delicious and filling.



Until next time--lots of love, health, & happiness.


No comments:

Post a Comment