Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Lightened Up Eggs Bennie

Good morning everyone! Hope all is well. So, all of you have a pretty good idea that I'm a total foodie. With that being said, I can never pass up a good plate of eggs benedict if it is on the menu at a place I know cannot mess up a good hollandaise. Only problem is, this doesn't squeeze into my new healthy lifestyle. So guess what! I made a lightened up version, one that my waistline gladly welcomes. And I'll be the first to tell you, this is still not comparable to the eggs bennie at the Peacock Alley at the Waldorf. But this lightened up version will satisfy your craving, most definitely! So here we go:

Ingredients:

2 tbsp hot water
1/2 cup light mayonnaise
1 1/8 tbsp lemon juice
Thomas Triple Health English Muffin
4 slices turkey bacon
2 large eggs


First you're going to want to whip out your double boiler. I, unfortunately couldn't fine mine so I had to make one that worked just as good. I took a pot and then a bowl and set it inside.
Next, what you're going to do in this double boiler (or makeshift one) is blend the mayo and hot water until heated throughout which takes about 4 minutes on low-med heat. Make sure to stir frequently, so it is well blended. After several minutes, stir in lemon juice and then set aside. (You can also add yellow food coloring if desired).


Then take bacon and put in non-stick skillet and cook until a little browned and crisp. (I know I have 5 pieces in the skillet, my sister wanted to eat one)


While the bacon cooks, take a deep dish skillet and fill with about 3 1/2 inches of water and heat until tiny bubble are on the bottom (right when it starts to boil). Then crack one of the eggs in a small bowl and then slowly pour into the boiling water. When the egg is ready to flip sides, it will be all white and be floating to the top, make sure to carefully flip it as to not break the yolk. Cook for about 2 more minutes and then take it out. Do the same for the second egg.

Finally take the english muffin and split in half and put in toaster. Once finished toasting, place on plate with insides up. Take 2 slices of bacon and make into 4 pieces and place on one half the muffin, do the same with the other side. Next, place one poached egg on one half, and then another on the other half. Finally spoon a little bit of hollandaise over each half of the eggs benedict. And then for garnish, I sprinkled with a little bit of chopped dill! :)

I served this with coffee and a handful of red grapes. 


Until next time,

Bon Appetit!





No comments:

Post a Comment